Saturday, May 2, 2015

End Of An Era


Today is the anniversary of The Battle Of Hogwarts and it takes me back to a series that ended in two thousand and seven. A series that changed my life forever. 

Somehow eight years later it still means the world to me. Harry Potter is one of the largest fandom’s I know...in reality it kind of is THE fandom. On June 26, 1997 Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone hit shelves in the US and it took the world by storm. 

I am honored to be part of The Harry Potter generation, to call myself a Potterhead, because these books made such an impact on millions of peoples lives. The world that JK Rowling created went beyond the page. It started as a book, then the movies hit theaters, then Universal built The Wizarding World, music groups were formed, plays, websites, conventions…

Harry Potter was everywhere and there wasn’t a single person who didn’t know his name. People always wonder if someone can ever do it again, and honestly I think they’d have huge shoes to fill. JK Rowling did something no other author had done before. She created a world inside those pages that took hold of millions of people who became fans and became their own community. 

I find myself listening to a song by Oliver Boyd and The Remembralls today because it reminds me of the books that will always have a place in my heart on this day of remembrance. You see it doesn’t end even when the book is finished, because they live on in our hearts and that’s what acknowledging The Battle Of Hogwarts is for Potterheads. 

It's the remembrance of our fandom that even though the series is done we are still around and Harry is still alive in each of us. This community still talks and gathers which just proves it will never end. JK Rowling herself said: “Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.” 

So I am going to leave you with this video/song from Oliver Boyd aand The Remembralls. So just take a moment even if you aren’t part of the fandom to appreciate being part of the Era: 


No comments:

Post a Comment