Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Words That Made Me Think




Everyone has that one thing that they run to when they feel the weight of the world crashing down on them. A favorite movie, a song they play on repeat, or even a friend to lean on, but for me I found my peace of mind in books. When life became a little too much I would slip between the pages of a book. The words blurred and black and white text turned to vibrant colors, intense emotions, and life lessons. All of them playing out before me as if I was watching it unfold in real life. I soon came to realize that these words that so simply built worlds became my home. It was in those words that I was able to find strength when the real world became a little too much. 

So here are some of my favorite quotes that I go back to when I have lost my way. If they hit home with you I suggest picking up the very book they can be found in. The story that these quotes come from will mean so much more if you do.

"Don't cry. Don't cry. Breathe. Concentrate. Breathe. One, two, three. Remember how this goes, remember you can do this. When everything falls apart, when everything is strangled and taken from you and nothing is left, not even the tiniest glimmer. Remember the rules. Don't back down. Don't run. Don't quit."  -Jessica Shirvington: Embrace

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love." -Jessica Shirvington: Embrace

"If I spent all my time fearing the things I should, I'd never stop screaming." -Jessica Shirvington: Embrace

"And when you're the girl who's known for for being invisible, there's nothing quit as scary as being seen." -Ally Carter: Gallagher Girls

"Not knowing you can't do something, is sometimes all it takes to do it." -Ally Carter: Gallagher Girls

"Its the people you hold close to your heart that have the power to make you bleed." -Ally Carter: Gallagher Girls

"There are memories that time does not erase...Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable." -Cassandra Clare: City of Heavenly Fire

"Don't ever change yourself to impress someone, cause they should be impressed that you don't change to please others." -Cassandra Clare: The Mortal Instruments

"The more you try to crush your true nature the more it will control you. Be what you really are no one who really loves you will stop you." -Cassandra Clare: The Infernal Devices

"Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life. That is the sort of bravery I must have now." -Veronica Roth: Allegiant

"Be sad, be sorry, but don't shoulder it." E. Lockhart: We Were Liars

"I will prove myself strong when they think I am sick. I will prove myself brave when they think I am weak." -E. Lockhart

It would be simple for me to type up pages upon pages of quotes that really taught me something or helped me through a tough time. The heart of every good novel has a message that will hit each reader differently. I hope that some of these will hit home with you and inspire you to read the entire novel. The point of all of this is that quotes are huge when it comes to reading, because it is the content that readers pick out of all of the other sentences that make up the book. The part that really makes you think and helps you to grow. So thank you to all of these amazing authors for helping me even when they didn't know they were. 





1 comment:

  1. "Be sad, be sorry, but don't shoulder it." E. Lockhart: We Were Liars. This quote is awesome! I've been wanting to read this book so this kind of sealed the deal!

    ReplyDelete